As a Cathedral welcomer you are the first person to meet and greet our visitors to Manchester. We are proud of the warm welcome our visitors receive, whether they live in Manchester or have flown from the other side of the world.
We look for enthusiastic, friendly, and approachable personalities, who will be comfortable interacting with some of the 170,000 visitors a year.
Details about welcoming:
The roles of both Welcomers and Guides are vital to Manchester Cathedral. Welcomers provide the first contact between the Cathedral and its visitors and are the point of reference for information and help. Guides extend this role by taking visitors around the Cathedral to explain more fully its history and architecture and also the exciting projects and events linked in to the Cathedral’s future development. As such both are ambassadors for the Cathedral.
Role responsibilities – Welcomers will usually give 3 hours of their time, morning or afternoon, weekly or fortnightly. A rota will be drawn up with regular time slots allocated according to the Welcomer’s availability. We aim to have at least 3 Welcomers available whenever the Cathedral is open. They will be on duty with one or more of our Guides and a Chaplain. Welcomers duties include:
• Warmly welcoming all visitors into the Cathedral. Welcomers should have a courteous, friendly and informal manner that puts people at ease thus helping to preserve the Cathedral’s positive relationship with its congregation, local community and visitors.
• Providing information and help to visitors by answering routine enquiries, pointing out information about the building or about future events, directing them to exhibitions or to our Visitor Centre with its displays and Cathedral Shop and Café or showing visitors where they can light a candle or just sit quietly to reflect and pray.
• Keeping as up to date as possible with the services that the Cathedral offers, for example Worship, Concerts, Exhibitions, Education, Archives, Cathedral Visitor Centre, Friends Association and other Cathedral groups
• Keeping a tally of visitors for their time on duty, for our official records, by using the mechanical counter and sheets provided.
• Keeping the leaflet stands well stocked with guides and leaflets.
• Encouraging the use of the Cathedral Café.
0161 833 2220
We’re partnered with some of the most prestigious cultural venues in Manchester.
The Science and Industry Museum is devoted to inspiring futures through ideas that change the world, from the Industrial Revolution to today and beyond. As part of the Science Read more…
Power Up is back for 2022! We are looking for a team of enthusiastic volunteers, with an interest in gaming. Volunteers will act as event hosts, helping to ensure Read more…
The Science and Industry Museum is currently going through a transformative period of masterplan projects that includes: The Power Hall (upper yard), The 1830 Warehouse and the new Special Read more…
Manchester Jewish Museum are recruiting for new volunteers!Do you want to be part of a brand new museum? Do you want to help bring people together and share Jewish stories Read more…
Help Manchester Museum discover the treasures in its collection and help us unlock this information and release our collection’s potential. This is an exciting opportunity to volunteer from home with Read more…